Overcoming Panic and Agoraphobia self-help course
The Overcoming Panic and Agoraphobia self-help course has been adapted from Derrick Silove & Vijaya Manicavasagar's classic self-help guide Overcoming Panic. A series of modules in three parts, and based on clinically proven CBT techniques, the interactive course is designed around worksheets, charts and exercises in a step-by-step format ideal for you to follow alone or with professional assistance.
Download modules in PDF format
How the course works
The course explains panic disorder and agoraphobia, looks at how panic can be controlled, and offers a progress-based approach to overcoming agoraphobia.
- What panic disorder and agoraphobia are
- How panic disorder and agoraphobia affect people’s lives
- What causes panic and agoraphobia
- How panic disorder and agoraphobia can be treated
- The defining features of panic and agoraphobia
- Step 1 – How to identify your panic triggers
- Step 2 – How to change your lifestyle
- Step 3 – How to control your panic attacks
- Step 4 – How to change your unhelpful thinking styles
- Step 5 – How to deal with physical sensations
- Step 6 – How to overcome agoraphobia and troubleshoot problem areas
- Preventing setbacks
Example: Step 1 - Identifying your panic triggers (Module 7)
Everyone experiences feelings of panic in different ways, and to different degrees. Some people confuse the symptoms of anxiety with those of a serious physical illness. It is even more confusing when you are not aware of the stressors that cause your anxiety symptoms. In this module you will:
- Learn how to monitor your panic symptoms
- Identify and keep a record of your panic attacks and their triggers
- Identify and keep a record of your symptoms of agrophobia
- Review these exercises to notice any patterns
See sample pages from the modules
How to get started
Written by Derrick Silove & Vijaya Manicavasagar and published as part of the Overcoming Series, the Overcoming Panic and Agoraphobia self-help course is available to you in book format as a set of three workbooks from Amazon.co.uk.
Buy the book from Amazon (RRP £21)
You can also download the course, module by module, direct to your computer in PDF format, and work through the modules at your own pace. Some modules are free of charge, others cost £2 each.
Each module builds on what has already been covered by previous modules. What you learn when working through one will help you when you come to the next. To get the most from the course, work through each module systematically, step by step.
Download now in PDF format
What if I don't feel better?
There is nothing to lose by working on some or all of the modules; they will give you practical coping skills that you can use straight away. However, if you find that self-help alone is not meeting your needs (and this is sometimes the case), see your family doctor, medical practitioner or specialist therapist, who will offer extra support. If you do need to seek more help, it doesn't mean you have failed in any way; just that your difficulties are perhaps more complex.